What is some of the best advice you have ever received?
Stay in the present moment!
We consider ourselves more minimalist when putting our pieces together...We try to create a calm, Zen feeling in our spaces. So, hitting the perfect balance between too little and too much is always our goal.
Color is almost like “proof of life”—without it, things disappear. Color creates emotion, just like a smell. It can instantly transport you somewhere.
Bringing outdoor elements in
When we suggest bringing outdoor elements in, we literally mean it! We use interestingly shaped sticks from trees in our backyards to fill a vase, frame a window (and hang light-catching pieces), decorate shelves, etc.
Five tips for designing a nurturing home space:
1) Having the right lighting is everything. It can totally make or break a space.
2) Bring plants into your life!
3) Mix textures with natural elements like baskets, rugs, etc.
4) Stay away from clutter.
5) Use things of sentimental value or “treasures” in your space.
Essentials to creating your nest
Texture. Light. Natural elements like wood and plants. No clutter. Shelves.
Being outside, especially around water, inspires and nurtures our souls in every way.
ORIGIN Rapid Fire
1. The place you feel most yourself? By the water
2. Where do you shop to find your favorite pieces? Thrift shops!
3. If you had to design a room in one color, what would it be? V: I couldn’t B: Some shade of orange OR GRAY!
4. What hashtags do you use to find awesome design on Instagram? #dsnicerug, #jungalowstyle, #urbanjunglebloggers
5. Where do you start when you remake a room?
A pillow or rug that you LOVE
6. What's the fastest way to shift a space?
Throw pillows, a new rug, fresh paint!
7. One of your favorite quotes:
This is more of a mantra: “Trust your journey.”
What is essential to nurturing your creativity?
Getting time outdoors, venturing into other creative spaces, like other artists’ galleries, museums or shops.
Ways to make your space come more alive:
Get colors on the walls!
Founders of Sister Golden, an online boutique and storefront in Fish Creek, Wisconsin, featuring one-of-a-kind handcrafted pieces by talented artists around the world, including a gallery space dedicated to owner Vicki’s work.