Singer/Songwriter & Designer
ORIGIN. Guest Curator
Where to Shop
I do a lot of thrifting. I typically go about three days a week. You must go regularly and have a lot of patience to find incredible pieces. I find most of my best scores from Goodwill! I also do online thrifting. Some of my favorite online thrift stores are Wicker and Woven on Etsy and on Instagram Lost Hunt Vintage, The Verde Bee and Vintage Seattle Rain. For textiles, I love Tribal Collections, D + K Renewal, a. Naber Design, Kazimah Carpets and The Merchant Collective!
Motto I Live By
“This too shall pass.” For better and worse, things are always changing and shifting, and I try not to get too caught up in trying to figure it all out. I walk through the doors that are open and try to always stay positive and maintain an attitude of gratitude. I find that in doing so, I’m able to handle anything that comes my way.
Repurposing Pieces + Design Hacks
I love repurposing pieces! Find something you love and use it in different ways. I found this beautiful brass ice bucket and made it into a planter. There are so many things you can turn into planters! I have a gorgeous tapestry from Vindu Studio that I have used as a bedspread, throw and wall hanging. When it comes to styling credenzas or shelves, you want to make sure you have dimension and depth. Make sure to have varying heights. For an easy hack, you can use books to give height to pieces. Try to stay within the same color palette in a space to avoid looking too busy or chaotic. It’s okay to mix patterns and textures if they are similar in color.
What is some of the best advice you have ever received?
I think my favorite advice was from my father when I was 15 years old. He told me, “Sweetheart, no one knows what they’re doing.” When you’re young and insecure, you assume adults have it all figured out, but it was refreshing to hear that they didn’t, as I, of course, learned on my own as I got older. My parents always encouraged me and gave me the confidence I needed to pursue whatever I was passionate about, even when I felt intimidated or afraid. That freedom allowed me to explore many different creative outlets that are so fulfilling!
Some things we wouldn’t know about you?
I am a singer/songwriter who lives in L.A. and loves to express creativity through design. I’m a mother to a precocious toddler, a 12-year-old Brussels Griffon named Mecca and 84 indoor house plants. My husband and I bought our first home in July 2017. I started posting pictures of the interior design last year and found that people wanted to see more!
The place you feel most yourself?
At home in my PJs, surrounded by my family, dog and plants!
What’s your spirit animal?
A horse. I’m a bit stubborn and wild and don’t like to be tamed, but I’m loyal, loving, calm and connected to the earth.
If you had to design a room in one color, what would it be?
I’d have to say green, because, duh, plants!
Which designers or sites give you the most inspiration?
@kelli_e_collins @sub_folk_collective @anitayokota @reserve_home @arianna_danielson
What hashtags do you use to find awesome design on Instagram?
5 Party Essentials
1. MUSIC! As musicians, music is always super important to my husband and me. We like to make sure we have a good playlist going that sets the mood.
2. Awesome food is a definite must! I tend to go a little overboard with the food because my mother did the same when she threw parties. You don’t want anyone to go home hungry!
3. Booze! (I don’t actually drink, so I don’t need booze to have a good time, but I make sure to have plenty of beautiful Italian wines from my favorite restaurant, Terroni, on hand.)
4. A well-curated outdoor area. Living in Los Angeles, it’s warm most of the time, so we love having people over and spending time in our outdoor space. It’s so great to hang from day to night and go from enjoying the sunshine to enjoying the stars!
5. Time! I always do a lot of prep before I throw a party to make sure I’ve covered all my bases. I’m a total planner and go a little OCD when it comes to party planning.