Food Blogger, Photographer and Content Creator
Tufahije is a very popular Bosnian recipe that is spread all over the Balkans and is very popular in Montenegro too. It’s easy to make, requires few ingredients and is so delicious! This is my vegan version of this traditional dessert. With autumn weather and fresh apples in the green markets, poached apples are a very easy yet comforting dessert that all your friends will love. Just a few ingredients and 20 minutes of your time, and dessert is ready to be served.
o 8 larger apples (the best apples for this recipe are Golden or Red Delicious)
o 1 l water for cooking the apples
o 200 g sugar
o Juice from 1 lemon
o 120 g ground walnuts + some for decoration
o 3 tsp sugar
o 70 ml water for the walnut filling
o Coconut whipped cream for decoration
• In a large pot, add sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until all sugar is dissolved.
• Peel and gently core the apples, but make sure not to break them. Use a slice of a lemon for brushing the apples before cooking. In this way, they will not turn brown. For this recipe, you will need whole apples.
• Add 3-4 apples to the simmering syrup and cook for about 5-10 minutes (depending on their size) or until they are soft enough to poke with a fork. If you have a large enough pan, you can also put all the apples together.
• Be careful while cooking them, as you don’t want to overcook them. The best way is to cook them for 5 minutes and then flip the sides. In this way, your apples will cook evenly and will not break.
• In a smaller pan, add water and sugar for the filling and cook on medium heat just for a few minutes, until the sugar is dissolved.
• Remove from the heat, add walnuts and stir until combined.
• Once the apples are ready, put them on a serving plate and leave to cool. Preserve the liquid as we will use it later on.
• Once the apples have cooled down, fill them with the walnut mixture and cover with a few spoons of remaining syrup. This will make your apples more soft and tasty.
• Put them in the fridge until serving. Whip the coconut cream, decorate apples and sprinkle with some ground walnuts. Enjoy!